Preparing for ICS 211

I am pleased that you are considering Introduction to Computer Science II. Here are some things to note in advance.

Prerequisites

To enroll in this class, you must have taken and passed ICS 111 (or equivalent). You cannot take ICS 211 if you’ve taken and failed (got less than a “B”) ICS 111. You cannot take ICS 211 and ICS 111 concurrently. I enforce this prerequisite firmly out of compassion for you: if you do not have at least ICS 111 under your belt before starting this class, the odds of you have an unsuccessful experience are quite high. This means you’ll drop the class at some point, and you’ve just squandered a seat that could have gone to another student. If you do not drop the class voluntarily, I will request an administrative drop for you, so please make sure you have passed ICS 111.

Polishing up your Java skills

Some students have asked me what they can do to prepare for Introduction to Computer Science II. The best thing to do is to spend some time practicing your Java programming skills.

Here are some ideas:

Or anything else: it doesn’t matter as long as what you take on requires you to write syntactically correct Java code. If you have prepared correctly, then on the first day of class, if I ask you to write a simple Java program on a piece of paper and turn it in, you won’t stare at me in amazement or horror for five minutes and then turn in a blank piece of paper. We will be writing lots of Java code on paper in ICS 211.

Bookmark this site and check back

A final preparation is to review the other pages in this site, and check back occasionally to see if anything has changed.