COVID-19 and ICS 314

My goal is to provide you with a rich learning environment for ICS 314 despite the necessity for social distancing and reduced face-to-face contact. I believe that if we all work together, we can make this semester interesting, fun, and rewarding.

I want everyone to know that I spent a great deal of time thinking about which format would work best for everyone: face-to-face, all online, or hybrid. I decided right away that I couldn’t continue with the traditional face-to-face format; for one thing, if I kept the format the same, it would reduce by 50% the number of students who could take the course due to social distancing requirements.

On the other hand, I know from teaching ICS 314 for quite a few years that some amount of face-to-face interaction is really, really important to maintain a high quality learning environment, as well as the pace of learning that students achieve in ICS 314. I was unable to design an all-online version of ICS 314 which would not result in a dramatic decrease in learning outcomes.

On the third hand, I am on the “elderly” side, and thus at-risk for complications from COVID. I am acutely aware of the increased risk of face-to-face interactions and group meetings, and the need to provide a safe, hygienic environment for learning. I don’t want to get sick, any more than any of you do.

And finally, on the fourth hand, as of mid-August, the COVID infection rate on Oahu is the highest in the country, mandating an online approach at UHM for at least the next month (if not longer).

So, here’s my current approach to Fall, 2020. Of course, the exact approach will depend upon how well we are controlling COVID during the Fall.

In the past, the ICS 314 learning environment consisted of “synchronous” communication and learning (i.e. face-to-face, in-class work, and small group meetings outside of class) combined with “asynchronous” communication and learning (i.e. out-of-class work, which involved both individual study from video lectures, individual programming, and asynchronous communication using Slack).

For Fall, 2020, we will still provide both synchronous and asynchronous communication and learning, but in a manner that reduces face-to-face interaction and supports social distancing.

Phase I: Week 1

The first week of class will be held entirely online. To meet synchronously during class periods, we will use Zoom.

I will email all registered students a link to the Zoom meeting prior to the class meeting time.

If you are not registered, but are interested in potentially getting an override, then please email me.

There are readings and assignments for you to complete asynchronously.

During Week 1, you will be invited to join a Discord server for ICS 314. We will use Discord for both synchronous and asynchronous communication starting in Week 2.

Phase II: Weeks 2 - 12

Starting in week 2, I will split each of the three sections of ICS 314 into two “mini-sections”: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and 3A, 3B. Mini-sections 1A, 2A, and 3A will meet synchronously for the first 30 minutes of their assigned class period, and mini-sections 1B, 2B, and 3B will meet synchronously for the last 30 minutes of their assigned class period. Thus:

Each mini-section will have no more than 16 students, which will enable the mini-section to (potentially) meet face-to-face in Hamilton 3F while still maintaining social distancing requirements.

On Tuesdays, each mini-section will meet synchronously in Discord during their time slot using a voice/video channel assigned to the members of that mini-section.

On Thursdays, all mini-sections will also meet synchronously. For at least the first several weeks, this synchronous interaction will take place in Discord during each mini-section’s time slot. If and when COVID allows face-to-face interaction in small groups, then we will move to face-to-face meetings in Hamilton 3F (located in the basement of Hamilton Library). Please note that wearing a mask and COVID prevention measures will be required.

Phase III: Weeks 13 - 16

The final month of the semester involves working in small groups on a project. While we will still maintain mini-sections and synchronous communication, we will decide when the time comes whether and when to use Hamilton or Discord for meetings.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Due to COVID, UH has announced that all classes should be online if possible. Does this mean ICS 314 will be online?

Answer: No. For the first few weeks of the semester, ICS 314 will definitely be entirely online. But, if we residents of Hawaii can get our act together and bring the infection rate under control, then ICS 314 will move to a hybrid format where each student will be required to meet face-to-face for 30 minutes once a week. So, you cannot plan for ICS 314 to be all online for the entire semester.

Question: Due to COVID, I am hoping to not return to Oahu for the Fall semester. Can I still take ICS 314?

Answer: I totally understand and respect your desire to remain in a safe location. For the first part of the semester, it’s fine for you to be off-island. However, when/if ICS 314 returns to a hybrid format, you will be required to attend one 30 minute face-to-face class per week. These sessions must be attended for you to pass the class. So, if you can make arrangements to return to Oahu part-way through the semester, then you should be fine.

On the other hand, if you know you will not return to Oahu until Spring semester, then you should wait until then to take ICS 314.